Call for Nominations & Directors Election
Today’s business world is complex and constantly changing. Electing a Board of Directors to oversee the business affairs of a $230 million petroleum and food co-operative is comparable to hiring a member of the senior executive team, such as the CEO. Being elected to the Board is a serious responsibility, as each Director’s decision has a profound influence on Peninsula Co-op’s future success.
Call for Nominations Info & Application
Peninsula Co-op is 100% locally owned by our member-owners. Our members’ input is important to the long-term success of the Co-op. As a member-owner, you have the opportunity to nominate qualified candidates for the available positions on the Board of Directors and also vote in the annual Election of Directors.
Each year, the Board of Directors appoints a Nominations Committee that comprises three Directors whose term does not expire that year. The Committee undertakes an evaluation of the current Board, and identifies additional skills, business experience, or qualifications which would enhance the Board’s effectiveness and diversity for the benefit of the membership. The Nominations Committee carefully reviews the nominations received and endorses individuals who offer significant expertise to Peninsula Co-op’s Board.
The Nominations Committee assesses all the information provided by each nominee. Nominees are only endorsed after an extensive process involving meeting with the Nominations Committee, analysis of past work experience and their community contributions.
The Nominations Committee is seeking three nominees with the following qualifications:
- The ability to act in the best interests of all Co-op member-owners and in the best interests of the organization as a whole.
- Solid business, leadership, community and operational experience.
- Experience with retail business operations, preferably at a multi-location level.
- Experience with the development of corporate citizenship and how its policies can have a positive impact on business, community and the environment.
- Knowledge and expertise in some of the following areas: marketing, branding, business development, project management, corporate/legal, strategic planning or mergers/acquisitions.
- A sound knowledge of financial fiduciary responsibilities, including the ability to evaluate the financial health and performance of the co-operative.
- Candidates must demonstrate a capacity to provide sound advice on a broad range of company, industry and community issues.
Nominees are required to complete the nomination package through the links below. Nominations received in any other format will not be valid.
Nominations open March 1, 2021 and end on April 3, 2021 at 8pm. Nominees must meet the requirements of Section 79 of the Rules of Peninsula Co-op. The rules require that a nominee, or their spouse, joined Peninsula Co-op as a member-owner before April 1, 2020.
Election of Directors
The next Election of Directors will occur in May 2021.
The Co-op Board of Directors is elected by the membership and is responsible for directing the activities of the Co-op according to by-laws and co-operative legislation. The Board establishes the mission of the Co-op, formulates and implements policy, supervises and appraises the General Manager and Directors serve on a number of the sub-committees, always remaining accountable to our membership.
Over the years, our Co-op has seen tremendous growth, and as we continue to grow, it is extremely important that our Board has the skills and background to ensure that the best interests of the Co-op are met.
Please contact our Administration department at 250-652-5752 if you wish to correspond with the Board.